In conjunction with USF Sarasota/Manatee, Manasota SCORE will be hosting a seminar presented by Craig Morris, an attorney with the US Patent and Trademark Office dealing with small business and copyrights, trademarks and patents.
The event is co-sponsored by Manasota SCORE and USF Sarasota/Manatee. The event is free. Light refreshments will be served, with the conference starting at 9 am at the Shelby Auditorium on the USF Sarasota/Manatee campus. This will be an excellent program and we are fortunate to have Mr. Morris lending his knowledge to our community.
Wednesday, November 7 – 9:00 am to Noon
USF Selby Auditorium, 8350 North Tamiami Trail, Sarasota
Refreshments available at 9:00am • Presentation from 9:30 to 11:00 plus Q&A.
• Difference between trademarks, copyrights and patents, as well as domain names
and business name registrations
• The importance of selecting a strong mark (both federally and legally protectable)
• Other important factors when choosing a mark
• Potential grounds for the USPTO to refuse registration
• What to do in case of a “cease-and-desist” letter
• How to find an attorney, and the distinction between what the USPTO does in the
federal registration process and what a private attorney can do
• How to avoid scams perpetuated by companies that request fees for services not
required by the USPTO